Appointed to provide a "Critical Friend" role by the London Borough of Newham, Rick Mather Architects in highly successful collaboration with the developer Mullaley and Pozzoni Architects to develop design proposals for a new leisure centre.
Our role involved developing an architectural approach to the emerging proposals as well as being a key facilitator in the pre-planning CABE/Design Review Panel presentation in the run-up to a detailed planning submission.
For further information refer to London Borough of Newham
London Borough of Newham
Atherton Leisure Centre is located on the existing site of the vacant 1930's leisure centre. The centre provides sports and recreational facilities for the local community including two pools, gym and exercise studio, as well as a cafe and crèche facilities. The key points which RMA contributed to are listed below:
- A contextual approach, reinforcing the building lines along Romford Road and Atherton Road.
- Maintaining and reinforcing the landscape zones along Atherton Road.
- Respects and enhances the amenity of the existing McGrath Road housing
- Articulation of the main volumes: pools, gym, fitness studio, and the cafe.
- Northern and eastern boundaries were important considerations in integrating the Leisure Centre within the site.
- Cafe located on the corner for maximum impact. A transition for turning the street.
- Night views considered early in the designs
- Brick treatment unites the varying volumes