The archaeological dig has unearthed some interesting evidence to support theories that Oxford was once laid out as an Anglo-Saxon burh town at the turn of the 10th century. Amongst the findings were chalk floors, clay tobacco pipe bowls, metalled road surfaces, Saxon metal working pits and evidence of four medieval buildings!
The new Library extension will add much needed flexible learning and archive space to the existing library which dates from 1692 and contains one of largest and most diverse collections of rare books in an Oxford College.
Construction work will continue for the next 18 months. More details on our designs can be found here.